Bio-dynamic wine and grape growing takes organic wines a stage further. Bio-dynamics develops soil life and builds the natural immunity of the vine. In bio-dynamic wine, only natural yeasts are used and no artificial adjustments are made nor animal products added in the production process; natural animal products can however be used in the growing process. We cannot say that all organic and bio-dynamic wines are suitable for vegans, however we can say all our wines are suitable for vegans.
The bio-dynamic farmers will try to use a holistic approach. They prefer to generate raw material, like fertilizer and sprays, from the farm, the community, or increasingly from cooperatives of other bio-dynamic growers nearby.
An important aspect of bio-dynamic grape growing is the social or community one. This type of farming is far more labour intensive: there is a real benefit to working manually in the vineyard. Using a horse to plough might seem a bit excessive in this day and age. More obviously we can say that hands always beat machines at pruning and picking. Bio-dynamic growing methods help keep rural communities alive and are a more sustainable form of growing.
In bio-dynamic wine, strange as some bits might seem –
- The vineyard is cared for homeopathically with various organic sprays and treatments.
- The activities in both bio-dynamic vineyards and wineries are carried out according to a calendar governed by the moon and planets.
- The soil is more alive and healthier than the bland soils found in conventional vineyards. Bio-dynamic growers are constantly improving their soil. They are not trying to purposefully destroy it to make a safe blank canvas with no life.
- Bio-dynamic vines are healthy through natural prevention rather than chemical cure.
- In a bio-dynamic vineyard the increased competition on the surface from other plants pushes the roots of the vines down deeper. The vines have better mineral horizons to draw upon and are less affected by conditions on the surface.
- The fruit is more concentrated, there is more flavour and it is healthier. The vines are more consistent and resistant to ailments and disease.
Whether or not you believe in the bio-dynamic farming approach, we believe that you will taste the difference. For us, time has shown that either the bio-dynamic methods work or that the obsessive nature of the growers means the bio-dynamic wines really are better wines. Most importantly, our wines do not have animal products added.